Pedestal fans and table fans are like very first cousins who do not differ much but yet they are considered different. These two types of fan if combined together as one category then this type of fan would become the most widely used category of fan worldwide. These two types of fans are still very widely used across the world (well developing countries to be precise because developed countries are using more sophisticated methods of air conditioning). These fans are very much similar as stated earlier and have somewhat similar functioning. Compare here for more on fan and its types. When we want to compare these two types of fan we would as usual require definitive parameters to compare them upon, these parameters are as follows:
- Usage: Usage or requirement is the first and the foremost factor that governs the type of fan to be used and the efficiency of other fans in this situation. When we require air in a specific region then both the table and the pedestal fans are good choices but the demarcation starts when we talk about a more wider area. Table fan is best considered when we are talking about cooling one or two people maximum on a table with a concentrated flow of air with a small area of sweep due to oscillations (swing). When we need airflow to a larger area yet concentrated then the best option is the pedestal fan as these provide high speed wind to a specific area with a larger sweep area due to oscillation.
- Noise: when we talk about silent operation then we have table fans win it hands down in comparison to the pedestal fans. Table fans are very silent while operating and these are deigned because they are to be used at a table when a person is studying or working and the noise may be disturbing to him. Talking about the pedestal fans, they are not very noisy, these fans are also quiet but they are noisy when compared to table fans or ceiling fans.
- Design: Table fans are aesthetically more pleasing when it comes to design because they are small in size and available in various shades along with different blade designs and casing designs. Because pedestal fans are needed to provide strong gust of wind, the range of experimentation with the blade designs is not much and there is scarcely little one can do when it comes to making a pedestal fan aesthetically pleasing.
- Portability: Table Fans in this criterion as well win it hands down as the table fans are really light and can be easily transported from one place to another whereas pedestal fan being easily portable are not that much light thus they are a little difficult to port from one place to another.
- Built: The pedestal fans do not have much competition in this context from the table fans as the pedestal fans are designed to be sturdy and long lasting and sadly this cannot be said confidently for most of the table fans as these are delicate in their built.
- Power consumption: in terms of power consumption the table fan consumes less energy as compared to the pedestals.