London is one of the most visited and best loved cities of the world. This iconic melting pot of history and culture, trade and commerce, and civilisation, was established in the mid-fifth century and has continued to retain a central position in the world’s history. It is this multifaceted and vibrant character that has made London a hotspot for tourists. Solo travellers, couples, families, business travellers – just about everyone aspires to visit the city at least once in a lifetime. If you are yet to make up your mind, here are some reasons why London must feature, rather prominently, on your wanderlust wishlist:
- The great attractions – London is a city of iconic attractions. The Tower of London, the Tower Bridge, the Big Ben, the London Eye, the Windsor Castle, the Kensington Palace, the Royal Observatory Greenwich, The Jewel Tower, the Wellington Arch, and St. Paul’s Cathedral are only a few of the many attractions that this city holds.
- For the love of history – If you are a history buff, London must feature somewhere near the top of your travel wishlist. The top museums and historic attractions of the city – the British Museum, the Natural History Museum, the Museum of London, the Victoria and Albert Museum, the Imperial War Museum, the Churchill War Rooms, the Benjamin Franklin house, and the Monument to the Great Fire of London – are among the best places to visit.
- The Shakespearean stage – London is rightly called the entertainment capital of the world. Apart from the vibrant nightlife and the pubs, there are numerous shows, fairs, and circuses you may want to visit. Do not miss out on the West End show in Theatreland or a Shakespearean play at the Globe Theatre. If you love literature you must visit the British Library, the Poet’s Corner at Westminster Abbey, Bloomsbury District, and the Charles Dickens Museum.
- Food and culture – London is truly the melting pot of many cultures from across the world. The city has some music festival, cultural show, or book reading session on at all times. The food is eclectic and goes well beyond local favourites such as fish and chips. Drop in at the best Indian restaurant in London, or pick up fresh produce at the local markets, spot the best bakery in the neighbourhood or seek out the food trucks in the business district. Whatever you do, do not forget to experiment when in London.
- Fashion capital – Along with Paris, New York, and Milan, London is considered to be one of the fashion capitals of the world. Go shopping along Bond Street’s high end luxury label shops. Try Mayfair or King’s Road for variety and do not forget to spend a fortune at Harrods. In fact, Knightsbridge is one of the most popular shopping destinations in town. Apart from Harrods you are likely to find a multitude of retail shops and food outlets.
- Travel for all budget options – One of the greatest advantages of travelling to London is that you can customise your tour to suit just about any budget. From luxury hotels near London Bridge to historic inns, from budget hotels to Airbnb, the accommodation options are infinite. The London Pass helps you jump queues at a number of city attractions while also giving you a discounted entry fee. The Oyster Card is a great way to subsidise your travel on the London Underground. Your entire travel can be tailormade to suit your budget.
- Novel experiences – London is the place for unique and novel experiences. From riding the quintessential double decker red bus to trying to enter the Kings Cross Platform 9 ¾, from getting your photograph clicked straddling the Prime Meridian to visiting Jack the Ripper’s favourite haunts, from attending a ‘Museums at Night’ event to taking a Beatles walking tour – the possibilities are simply endless.